Glaisdale Head Methodist Chapel was built in 1821 and is located about a mile away from the village of Glaisdale. Up until a couple of years ago, it was one of two chapels in the locality, with Glaisdale End Chapel located in the village itself.
Glaisdale is a beautiful dale set in the North York Moors National Park arguably displaying God’s craftsmanship at its best. The chapel is situated in a very peaceful and tranquil place towards the upper part of the valley and has its own graveyard, a very unusual feature for a Methodist chapel.
Visitors are always guaranteed a warm welcome to the chapel at our services and can expect traditional style worship with some of the most famous rousing hymns.
We do host a number of special services throughout the year with a service, usually musical, held on Good Friday evening, followed by a traditional Methodist supper. A midweek Harvest Festival service is held at the end of September, again followed by supper and produce is sold – with fifty percent of proceeds being sent to the Methodist Relief & Development Fund. Then, on Christmas Eve, members of the Chapel, joined by many friends, make up a group of 40 people and travel around the Dale to sing Christmas carols at all the houses and farms. In years past the party set off at about 4pm and walked the 4-5 miles around the Dale, but they now set off at about 6.30pm and travel in cars! Fifty percent of proceeds are given to NCH Action for Children. This is a tradition that goes back many years.
We look forward to welcoming you.
10.30am – Morning worship. Holy Communion is included once a month.
Revd Alan Coates
Glaisdale, Whitby, YO21 2PZ.