Here at Danby Methodist Church, we aim to provide a welcoming society to everyone in pleasant well-equipped surroundings where worship and fellowship are the basis of church life.
Methodism started in Danby over 200 years ago as a house fellowship at Clitherbecks Farm, about a mile away from the village. The cause was strong enough to buy a site in the village and erect a chapel in 1811, and with growing congregations, a gallery was installed in 1846. The Manse was built adjoining in 1857 and in 1887 a two-story extension to the Chapel was built comprising a vestry and boiler room with Sunday Schoolroom above. In 1950 an extension was added to the vestry/kitchen/schoolroom providing modern toilets with a kitchen above.
Some traditions still remain including a Donkey Walk every Palm Sunday from nearby Castleton village to Danby with prayers, readings and hymns. Every Pentecost we have an open-air service with the rest of the Circuit at Danby Beacon, and every Christmas we go carol singing door to door around the village. We also host an annual open-air Bible read with the rest of the Circuit during August.
Visitors are always welcome and can expect ‘traditional’ services, with Bible based and challenging preaching with mostly well known and some more modern hymns. Any children visiting are welcome to join with our Sunday school. Light refreshments are available after the service allowing for further fellowship together.
Although we do have 200 years of history, we look forward to the next 200 years, maintaining a faithful witness and seeking to serve Jesus Christ in our community.
10.30am – Morning service with Sunday School. Holy Communion is included once a month, usually on the 3rd Sunday.
Occasional evening worship at 6.30pm, which are usually ecumenical.
Thursdays at 7.15pm, Wesley Guild (September-March)
Fridays from 2.30-4.00pm, “Friday Girls” – ladies group
Revd Alan Coates
Bridge Green, Danby, North Yorkshire, YO21 2JQ.